Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Banana Pancakes


I have to admit my standby pancake recipe that I often resort to is Bobs Red Mill 10 grain pancake mix. It's healthy and easy and I'm not sure I could do much better with my own formula. That doesn't stop me from collecting pancake recipes though and I suppose one of these days I'll come up with a mix of my own, but until then I have stumbled onto another recipe that will become a regular in our house. The addition of the cream of wheat gives the pancakes a very creamy texture. Even though there is only 1 tbs of sugar the banana (make sure it's VERY ripe) makes these very sweet and flavorful.


Banana Pancakes
1 cup oat flour
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 oz cream of wheat
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tbs hazelnut oil (or any other oil or melted butter)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 large mashed banana

Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. In another bowl mix the wet ingredients and gently fold into the dry ingredients. Let it sit for a few minutes to let the dry ingredients absorb the liquid. Heat a griddle and grease if needed and cook on one side until golden brown and flip.

*You'll see hazelnut oil make regular appearances in my recipes where a nutty flavor is desired. It doesn't have a strong flavor, just a sweet background nutty flavor. It is also a healthy fat, it has omega 9 fatty acids. You can also find other nut oils, along with hazelnut oil in many grocery stores and gourmet food stores. These are great for baking and also wonderful in vinaigrettes.

3 comments:

Emily said...

What fluffy pancakes! They look tasty. I love anything with banana-it's my favorite fruit.

Anonymous said...

Cream of Wheat is one of my favorite things to eat. It sounds just brilliant in pancakes! I also love your use of hazelnut oil. I love the healthy alternative. Do you use it only for baking, or is it good for sauteing food too?

Emma Nowell said...

The hazelnut oil doesn't have too high of a smoke point so as long as you weren't getting it too hot it would be ok.