Friday, January 4, 2008


Nothing is better than a fresh loaf of bread. Next to it in the picture is some pear butter I made earlier on in the season, and I'm sure this is going to make one killer peanut butter sandwich with my freshly baked bread!
I got this recipe from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking page197. I love whole grains and try to sneak them in whenever I can but sometimes, especially with yeasted breads sometimes a little white bread flour is necessary to achieve the light airy texture

Honey Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
1 1/4 cups (10 oz) boiling water
1/4 cup (1 oz) nonfat dry milk
1 cup (3 1/2 oz) rolled oats
2 tbs (1 oz) unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (3 oz) honey
1 cup (4oz) whole wheat flour
1 2/3 (7 oz) bread flour
2 tsp instant yeast

Combine the first 6 ingredients and let sit until room temperature. Put into a mixing bowl and mix with flours and yeast. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and let the dough sit 5 minutes so the flour has a chance to absorb some of the liquid. Mix the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a clean bowl and let rise until double (about 45 minutes) and then gently deflate and place in the bowl for a second rise until double (about 20 minutes). Turn out on a lightly floured board and roll out to about 1/4 inch with the width matching that of the length of the loaf pan. Roll dough towards you and make sure to secure the seam. Place dough into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and let rise until the dough rises above the pan by about 1 inch. Brush egg wash on and bake in a preheated oven at 350 until a dark golden brown, covering with foil if needed and temping the loaf if unsure of doneness. The temperature should read 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a very lucky recipient of a loaf of this wonderful bread, it is YUMMY!

Emma, you are the best!

Jen

Unknown said...

Emma and Ryan -

I think this is just about your first anniversary so...happy, happy to you both! Very cool that you are doing this together. The pictures look so yummy that I could just eat them but I'm sure the real thing will be wonderful even tastier! Lots of fun.

Hannah

Anonymous said...

Emma!
You are so amazing to keep this up! I check it everyday at work.. and in my down time, I copy recipes! :) haha... and I tell everyone in my office about your yummy food! :)

Take care,
Portland

Linda said...

I am really glad Sherry shared your blog with me..Your food looks so good and I am sure it tastes great! Eventhough I don't cook as often as I used to, I intend to try some of your recipes...Great to see you are both having fun with this...Happy anniversary and many more!!!!
Linda Knight
Sherry's cousin in Indiana.

Anonymous said...

i want to try and make this bread, but i couldn't find "instant yeast" at the store. does anyone know what this is? All i found was the Fleischmanns Rapid Rise - highly active yeast... is this the same thing? i noticed you can mix it with dry ingredients when using hot liquids, but this recepies liquids are all at room temp.
just wondering!
thanks
porty

Emma Nowell said...

Hi Portland,
To answer your question about the instant yeast... it is a lot like the rapid rise yeast but not exactly the same, that is designed to rise faster than instant yeast and not designed to have two rising periods. I was looking up online and found that SAF (a brand) has something called Gourmet Perfect Rise which looks the same as instant yeast. You can also look at a health food store (Whole Foods if you have one)or also order online from King Arthur Flour. I think your next closest kind of yeast would be the Bread Machine Yeast, I think this is instant yeast with the addition of a dough relaxer (which shouldn't hurt the bread). Let me know if you need more help.:)